Monday, December 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Owen

Today my favorite Owen in the whole wide world turned 3!

To know him is to love him!

He is one awesome kiddo. Even when he's being a big twerp he makes me laugh. I told Brent that I wish I could preserve him in a time capsule. I want to remember forever what he is like right now. I know too well how you think you'll always remember every detail but with time the details fade and it makes me sad to think I won't be able to remember every detail of how he is at this age. I cried when he turned one, then two and now three. It's kinda painful for me to have him keep getting older because he is such a joy right now. He lights up this house and is hilarious. When I'm not too distracted I can honestly just sit with him and listen to him talk-I don't have to do too much-he tells me exactly what to say for our conversations. And I could stare at his so-cute face forever. I want to eat him up! (SIDE NOTE: It disturbs Eli that moms always want to "eat" cute babies and tiny kids.) People young and old love this funny boy. One of our friends, after observing him in church, told us that Owen was going to rule the world someday. Well don't tell Owen, but he already does!

I thought all day about what to say about him and I just didn't know where to start. So here are my top 3 on Owen. Or atleast my top 3 at this very moment.

1. The boy can seriously talk! This provides endless entertainment not only for us, but for everyone who knows him and even some who don't and just happen to here him jabbering away at the store! We've been getting comments-how old is he? he really can talk!- since he was about one and a half. He also loves to sing, knows a ton of songs, sings on key, and will crack himself up by making up words to songs he loves. By the way, occasionally the talking thing can be a negative. I sometimes get a nervous tick from hearing this sweet boy go at it non-stop all day. He does sleep at night though.

2. We've always been able to reason with him, well for the most part. I mean he is 2, now 3. For about a year now he's been putting himself in time out. If he gets upset or is pitching a fit, he'll stomp off to his room and slam the door. He'll only come out when he's done crying. You gotta love that!

3. He is funny (tells knock- knock jokes), really smart (he knows all of his letters and their sounds-and I didn't teach him. He learned with his kindergartener brother), and entertaining. "I'm just awesome. Not cute. Awesome. And there's no charge for awesome. "(Exact quotes from Owen himself!)

3 1/2. He loves his brothers or "the guys" as he says. He gets excited for them to come home from school (although I do think he loves having Mom and Max to himself for a while each day) and asks them how school was and even does homework with them sometimes. If I'm getting on the boys to do homework or clean up, he says "Mom! Be nice to my brothers! Don't yell at my brothers. They're MY brothers"

Owen on his birth day.

Owen at 3 months

After a couple of colicky months-he was the best baby ever!

Mom is his "best friend in the whole, wide, world!"

Today he had play group at our house with his friends...

he ate lunch with Dad, shopped with Mom, ate pancakes for dinner, closed his eyes for his present and...

got a new basketball hoop!!


Then he had Happy Birthday sung to him for about the millionth time (most were at his request, like I said-he rules the world) and devoured some cake. Great 3 year old birthday, don't you think?


For those of you who know him I think you'll agree how special he is. For those of you who don't you're missing out!!!
Owen, Happy Birthday! We love you. You are AWESOME!

7 comments:

Emily said...

all i can say is that i Love that boy!!!! he lights up all of our lives, if you could freeze him that would be great! we have a little something for him. sorry we didn't get it there yesterday, you know with state and all......love you guys, thanks for birthing OWEN!!!!!

margieandnorm said...

We love you too Owen. Wish we could have been there to have a huge piece of your birthday cake and to sing and to hear you sing and to hear you talk and to see you smile and to hear you tell jokes and to EAT YOU UP with kisses and hugs. Tell Eli that we could EAT HIM UP too!!

Emily said...

ok i cried through the whole post because i miss that kid so stinking much! if i was allowed to have favorites, it might be owen... i am just saying.
i remember when we were at luke's graduation program last year and owen was telling me all of the colors of the crayons on the wall and what was with them, "the orange one has a pumpkin, the pink one is my favorite".
he is a freak of nature and of course i mean that in a good way! i love that kid! happy birthday, owen!

Leah said...

He sounds like such a big guy! I remember when he was born...he is adorable! I'm suer he will love the hoop! Happy B-day to your little man!

Kurt and Tami said...

Owen is awesome!

Shannon said...

"There is no charge for awesome." You've got to be kidding me. He makes a great point. Sometimes you just can't help it. I can relate.

What a great kid. Love him. Happy Birthday kiddo

Crissie said...

3??? Really??? That just doesn't seem right. I'll always think of Owen as a baby. It's tough watching our babies grow up isn't it? Happy B-day Owen!