Monday, December 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Eli

A couple of days ago this handsome guy turned 8 years old! Eli was a sweet baby with crazy hair and he grew to be a sweet kid with crazy hair-and crazy teeth. You gotta love that 8-year old smile! (SEE BELOW) People have always said how polite he is. Even when he could barely talk he was saying please and thank you. Now he says things like "Excuse me, since you're not using this toy anymore, could I please have it?" (that's when he's at someone else's house asking for their toys) and "Excuse me, Mom but why are always so bossy?" Like I said-polite. He is so smart and loves to learn new things. When he was in pre-k he told me "Keep it up, Mom. Way to be tenacious!" And then he told me what tenacious meant.

He has always been pretty sensitive to others' feelings. If Brent and I say the food's not good at a restaurant he says "Well be nice. I'm sure the people are working hard to make the food. They're just trying their best." When we went to a pro soccer game he cheered for the opposing team because they were losing, people were booing them and he felt sorry for them. They were trying their best, you know! His brothers all love him because he's fun and usually nice to them. He's pretty helpful and responsible. He calls when he gets to a friends house to let me know where he is and he will tell friends who come over to play that they'll have to wait while he gets his homework done. He can argue Brent and I into a stupor-we have to be on our toes when he comes at us fully armed with reasons why he should get what he wants.

He is stubborn and silly, he loves soccer, chocolate (no nuts or caramel to get in the way, thank you), cheese pizza, orange chicken, comic book-type stories (doesn't feel like actual reading) and video/computer games. He has a talent for making friends wherever he goes and, I especially, love that about him.

The day before his birthday, Brent took the day off to spend with Eli. Eli was sooo excited to miss school! They went to the dinosaur museum and to lunch. Then we took him and a few friends to see a movie. I think they had a pretty good time.

Eli was baptized on his birthday, so it made it extra fun for him I think. His buddy was baptized the same day so I think that will be something he remembers too. We were so grateful to all of our friends who came to the baptism. It is always emotional and exciting to watch your kids grow and take big steps in their lives. We made sure he understood it was his choice to be baptized. We are so proud of the choice he made and the example he set for his little brothers. It was a great day.

Eli was excited, as you can see, and not nervous at all. Garrett was so happy that his baptism suit was passed down to Eli. He told Eli he was going to have a great day just like he had when he wore the suit and got baptized. That big gap you see in his smile (which one you ask!) is from the tooth he lost on his birthday. He thought it was so cool that he lost a tooth on his birthday.

We sent out this announcement for our families who couldn't be there-I love how grown up he looks. Like a little missionary.

Here are some more pictures from that same shoot. My awesome friend did the pictures and I absolutely love them! (My other awesome friend did the announcement! Thanks you guys!)










We love this sweet boy of ours. Hope you had a happy birthday Eli! You're awesome! (I'm officially not allowed to say cute anymore. Not even to my two year old.)

21 comments:

Emily said...

I love those pictures!

Happy Birthday, Eli! You are such a handsome little boy and I agree with everything that your mom says about you. It sounds like you really had a fun birthday, you have awesome parents to let you skip school to celebrate! I hope you had a great day. I wish I could have been at your baptism on your special day!!
Love, Aunt Emily

Jessica McFarland said...

I decided to check my blog, and Cade and Calen are standing right here. So I decided to show them your blog to see if they remembered you. Of course they remembered your family and have enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading about Eli's b-day and baptism. I love those pictures too, amazing. Cade thought your description of Eli's personality was pretty funny. Calen couldn't believe that Eli is older than him. For some reason he thinks he was taller than Eli the last time we were all together, but I think he might have him confused with Luke. Happy birthday Eli!! Congrats on your baptism!

Emily said...

you gotta love that kid! even if he did ask me if i was with child(OUCH)any ways that sin was washed away, right?
love you guys! what a special day and tell eli i forgive him.
nothi'n but love here.

Sarah S. said...

Logan was so excited to get his baptism announcement in the mail. The announcement is exactly what I had planned to do for Logan. Love it! We love Eli and miss him. He is such a neat boy.

margieandnorm said...

Eli, we are so proud of you. We love the pictures and wish we could have been there for such a special day. We are glad you got our box in time. You should also be getting a gift card from us soon. We love you and the wonderful example you are to all of us.
Rachel, we love you all so much and you and your family have been in our thoughts so much. We tried to call on Eli's birthday but there was no answer,

Maren said...

He is very tenacious kid! We enjoyed his baptism and I know my son loved his party.

Lyric Payne said...

I loved reading this post. That is exactly the Eli I remember. By the way, I think you may have a model on your hands.

Loree said...

happy birthday Eli! I loved this post. so neat to learn more about this "cute" boy of yours. I love all the pics too. Love the crazy hair and teeth :) good times :)

Cherene said...

Congratulations on your baptism, Eli (and Rachel--2 down, 3 to go!) Eli looks so handsome in the pics in his suit. :)

~B. said...

Aww! He is adorable! Congrats on the baptism! LOVE the pictures in the field praying--what a darling idea!

Carrie said...

What a great tribute. Of course he is so polite always. That boy is going to go far with his people skills. Love the pictures that captured his cute personality. Keep up the great work.

Barnes said...

What a handsome boy! He looked so grown up in his suit on Sunday. What a special day!

Kurt and Tami said...

The invite turned out so cute. Love it! Congratulations on being baptized Eli.

Stacy said...

Congrats to Eli! You are still cute and crazy like I remember you. I loved your invite - I'm getting ready to do Katy's, I hope they turn out as cute. I'm proud of you Eli. I hope you remember me:)

Rasheta Family said...

ohhhh. I miss Eli. He is such a character. I loved when he would come to our door for any reason. Those professional pictures are awesome!! Congrats Eli. Don't forget us as you grow up so fast!

Lacey said...

He is such a handsome boy. I laughed out loud reading this because I can remember him always being so polite to me and he could always make me smile. Those are GREAT pictures. I kept wanting to do a photo shoot with Cayden when he turned 8 but never did, ugh!

Eardley Fam said...

Those pictures are incredible! He sounds like such a sweetie and what an awesome birthday.

Jessica said...

I can't get over these pictures!! What a handsome guy! I love the picture of your whole family too! It is fun to see all of you. You have the cutest (It sounds like I shouldn't use that word, but it's true) boys ever! What an awesome baptism announcement too. You have some great friends. Take care!

bonnie said...

What a great day, I am so glad we were able to be a part of it. WE LOVE YOU!!!

Crissie said...

What a kid!! Such a sweetheart! Congrats on his baptism. Love the pictures!!!

Leah said...

Love these pics Rachel....congrats to him...he really is growing up!