6: The amount of hours between deciding to take the whole family on a quick trip to San Diego and the time we left.
7: The amount of people we now have in our family to pack for, cram into a car, and fill one hotel room with.
5: Hours in the car the first day.
9am: Start time on day two.
17: Minutes into driving on day two that we were first asked "Are we there yet?"
2: Times that Owen barfed in the car-once on day one, saved one for day two.
10:15: Time it was when we got to the Nevada/Cali border and discovered that I15 westbound was closed until 2pm for roadwork (more specifically from 10am-2pm! missed it by that much!). Seriously.
30: Amount of miles we backtracked to Vegas to entertain our kids for 4 hours.
70: Dollars spent at Cheesecake Factory because we wanted to sit down and eat to kill time but could not seem to find a different (cheaper) restaurant! No matter how many people we asked!
20: Dollars sent on dumb apple juice at said restaurant. Apparently there were NOT free refills, unbeknownst to us.
2: Dollars each apple juice cost (can you sense that I am bitter about this?)
7: Number of tables staring at us and asking us if all of our kids were boys. Picture us sitting at a big round table in the smack-dab center of a room-like section of the restaraunt with tables surrounding us like petals on a flower. Every single table of people said something to us and told us we should try for a girl. Lovely.
A dozen: Times Brent and I told each other "We're having fun, right?"
3 or 4 pm: time we were supposed to get to SD.
7:30: Time we finally rolled in-8:30 our time
11 1/2: Hours in the car on day two.
Cost of spending that many hours in the car with our sweet children?
Our sanity.
I mean PRICELESS.
PS-Our drive home was uneventful. Whew.

13 comments:
But you had fun, right?
oh man that sounds like so much fun. i am definitely sad i missed out on that one! seriously, though. people telling you, you should try for a girl... who does that? you know you guys had fun and will always remember that amazing trip to san diego. and by amazing i mean hellish! glad your home safe!
hey i was wondering where you guys went! i came and knocked on your door and then finally figured the lights stayed on and the car never moved! i'm glad you had fun? what a spontaneous, fun, thing to do!!!
Boy, I wish I could have been with you, especially 'cause I get carsick too. Glad you are back home safe and sound.
Sounds like a blast. I can totally relate. We are getting ready to fly to florida in less than 3 weeks. Wish us luck.
Rach,
I forgot about poor Aaron and Torie, and their kids,stuck in the snow, overnight in Kentucky. They spent all night in the car, no snowplow came at all. Aaron and Torie finally left when a man was walking his dog down the road and telling everyone that there was an exit not too far up the road. They managed to dig their car out, take the exit and get rerouted by Dad (via the Internet). Great family trips!
love this post. Glad you didn't join Owen in the barfing fest and that you were made aware by strangers that you only have boys. People...
We need to talk. We're going to San Diego in April. Totally know what you mean about the seating situation in the restaurant. I'm the oldest of 8. You can imagine what it was like when we went out to eat. You'd think I would have gotten used to all of the staring but I never did. It always annoyed me. And the question to my parents,"Are they all yours?" No, we thought we'd bring a few more along so that we could be seated in the middle of the restaurant and have everyone stare at us while we eat!
I'm glad you went somewhere fun...and hopefully warm. I kept wondering if you were out of town. I'm glad you survived the drive...and the trip. It's probably one you won't forget right?
You are a brave soul Rachel!! Hopefully now you realize that you want to move back to Az so you only have to travel 6 hrs. to San Diego!! :)
Sounds like you had a blast. I bet you were so TORKED at the Cheesecake Factory. They really should tell you if the refills are free or not...
What a fun and witty way to tell the story of getting to San Diego. I loved it! You crack me up. Glad that you have a great sense of humor.
I realize you wrote this a while ago....but I haven't visited for a while. That was highly entertaining. Thanks!!!
Post a Comment